The chestnuts are roasting and the stockings hung with care, but there’s a big stain in the Santa suit you have to wear!
Have no fears; be without fright for your suit will be clean by the end of the night.
Separate Reds and Whites Like the Naughty and Nice
More often than not, Santa suits are used only once a year and are exposed to few dirty situations aside from the occasional soot dusting. The best method for cleaning your suit at home is to spot clean as most suits are dry clean only. Follow these simple instructions and you will be set.
- Make a solution of cold water and laundry detergent (be conservative with the detergent)
- Start with the areas requiring cleaning on the red portions of the suit first; avoid allowing the moisture to bleed over to the white portions
- Thoroughly clean and allow to dry completely (hang dry; DO NOT place in the dryer)
- Follow the same steps for the white sections of the suit
Washing Those White Whiskers
Nothing completes a good Kringle costume quite like those snowy-white whiskers and locks of milky white hair. But there comes a point when those fake beards and wigs start to look like they have had one too many glasses of eggnog over the years. Be sure to use the following tips to keep your Santa ‘stache looking pure as the driven snow.
- Fill a basin with cold water
- Hand wash with baby shampoo or mild shampoo
- Blot with a towel to dry and then air dry (NEVER blow dry or put in the dryer)
- Brush or hand shape for maintained volume
The Great Storage Epiphany
When the presents have been unwrapped, the meetings under the mistletoe are long over and the in-laws have (finally) headed back home, it’s time to hang up the suit for the season.
Paying attention to how you store your suit is as important as keeping it clean. Remember the following to ensure another round of happy holidays next year:
- Store on a padded hanger to maintain shape.
- Place in a cool, dry place to avoid generating must.
- Allow the suit to hang freely; do not put in cramped closets. Air circulation will help keep odors from developing.
If you adhere to these tips, you’ll be sure to keep your Santa routine as holly and jolly as the big man himself!